"The site of the Cherokee village of Tomotley (40MR5),
prior to inundation during the fall of 1979, was an open
habitation site located on the 32,000 year old second terrace of the Little
It lies approximately 790-795 feet above
mean sea level at 35o34'20" north latitude and 84o11'30"
It is situated between Rock Crusher Bluff to the north
and Toqua Creek to the south and just west of the northern
tip of McGhee Island.
The following is a report on the excavation and identification
of the material recovered from the site in 1967 and 1976 with particular
emphasis placed on the Cherokee component.
Historically the site represents an east Tennessee Cherokee village occupied
during the late colonial period (ca. 1760-1776).
The village was first shown on William Gerard DeBrahm's 1756 map of the region
surrounding Fort Loudoun and again in 1762 on Lt.
Henry Timberlake's map of the Overhill Country.
Archaeologically the site contains the residues of day-to-day life
in an eighteenth century Cherokee village.
As such it provides insights into the Cherokee culture found in
the Little Tennessee River Valley during that time." (Baden 1983:1)