Negotiation Report Assignment
First, indicate at the top of
– whether you’re doing this for
the Thursday, April 17 negotiation or the Tuesday, April 22/
Thursday, April 24 negotiation, and
– which side you were on
Then answer the following 11
questions, preceding each answer with the number and question
Due at the start of class on
Thursday, May 1
1) What are the sources of conflict in this negotiation?
2) What are each party’s interests?
3) What emerged as the criteria – as Getting to Yes
that term – for an acceptable agreement on which the parties may
be able to agree? Note that this question asks you what
emerged in the actual negotiation, not
4) What did your group decide was your BATNA and the other
5) What are the significant impediments to reaching agreement on
6) What options – as Getting to Yes
uses that term – can
you arrive at to resolve the issues in dispute?
7) How would you evaluate the better options – again, as Getting
uses that term – for their ability to meet the
parties’ interests and likely agreed criteria for an acceptable
8) Do you feel the interest-based, collaborative approach to
negotiation was appropriate to this negotiation? Why or
9) What strategies, tactics, etc. did you try in this
negotiation that worked? Why do you think they worked?
10) What did you try that didn’t work? Why do you think it
11) What was the result of this negotiation? Are you
satisfied with the result? Why or why not?
Generalizations will not lead to good reports. Support any
assertion you make with a specific example from your
negotiation. When I read the paper I should be able to “see” the
be sure to take good notes either during or immediately after
the group meetings and negotiations.
Note that it's best to be in class all three days so you can
choose which negotiation to write about.
Also note that terms like BATNA, option and criteria have very
specific meanings in this class and should be used that way in
the negotiation report
The report should be grammatically correct, free of spelling and
punctuation errors. It should be typed (double spaced, margins
of 1" all around, font no larger than 12). It should also
IMPORTANT: You will need to
return all of the negotiation materials I give you, so please
staple them to the back of your paper.
REMEMBER: Throughout this assignment, you’re using
“criteria,” “option,” and “BATNA” with the very specific
meanings those terms have in Getting to Yes.