Recent News / Coming Events
· Congratulation!! Yesol Woo presented her research work (“Discovery of Course Enrollment Patterns Using Sequential Data Mining”) at the 2014 IPFW Student Research and Creative Endeavor Symposium, March 28, 2013
· Congratulation!! David Kimmey presented his research work (“Artificial Neural Networks and Their Applications”) at the 2014 IPFW Student Research and Creative Endeavor Symposium, March 28, 2013
· Congratulation!! I have been selected as a Faculty Fellow for the 2014 Air Force Summer Faculty Fellowship Program (AF SFFP). This is the second award from US Air Force following the 2013 Visiting Faculty Research Program Award.
· Congratulation!! A collaboration work with US Air Force Research Laboratory has been accepted for publication in 2014 IEEE Big Data Conference. A graduate student, David Kimmey, also worked for the research manuscript.
· Congratulation!! A research work with a student, Vasudevan, has been accepted for publication in 2014 International Conference on Pervasive Pattern and Applications.
· I’m serving as a program committee for IEEE International Conference on Data Mining (ICDM 2014), Shenzhen, China, December 14-17, 2014. The conference is one of the world's premier research conferences in data mining.
· I’m serving as a program committee for the 22th ACM SIGSPATIAL International Conference on Advances in Geographic Information Systems (ACM SIGSPATIAL GIS 2014), Dallas, Texas, November 4 to 7, 2014. ACM SIGSPAITAL GIS aims bringing together researchers, developers and users in relation to theory and systems based on geo-spatial data and knowledge and discussing for advances of computer science in geographic information systems.
I received the Ph.D. in Computer Science at University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, in 2007. I also got the Master degree in Computer Science at University of Minnesota. I have the Bachelor degree in Computer Science & Engineering, and also Bachelor degree in Statistics from Korea University in (South) Korea.
My research area is data science and advanced analytics. I’m working for data management and computational analytic methods (data mining, machine learning, and statistics) for nontraditional data such as spatial, temporal and spatio-temporal data (including moving object data), graph/network data, and scientific data. Location based computing, information and services are closely related. I’m directing the Knowledge discovery, Data mining and Database Lab. Current research projects concern Big Data analytic methods (e.g., parallel and distributed data mining methods on Hadoop framework) and Big Data management techniques (e.g., NoSQL, distributed database systems and data warehousing) on cloud computing environment. Students are welcome to work with me in all areas of data mining, database and related applications.
Research advising courses